Medical technology has improved by leaps and bounds and so has our understanding of almost every organ of our body except of course our brain. It would be falsehood to deny any knowledge about the functioning of the brain, but a lot more is buried deep for us to uncover.
A common myth or fact, whatever you prefer to call it, has been floating around for quite some time – we use only 10% of our brain.
Imagine our main processing unit, the brain, containing billions of neurons communicating with each other and the rest of the body allowing you to function normally. What a marvel it is! Even the world’s best supercomputer cannot stand anywhere in comparison to the complexity and immense computing capabilities of the human brain.
Everyone is looking for that one-stop solution to utilize their unlimited brain power completely and increase their productivity, be it in a classroom or in a research laboratory setup.
So how do we go about it?
Here are presented some facts how you can enrich your brain’s potential for a more fulfilling and rewarding life.
- Creating links with other objects – Remember those geniuses who manage to memorize an elaborate amount of information in no time; well there are not gifted with any magical wand. They are just like you and me. They have trained their mind to relate any object perceived to something similar already stored in their mind, thereby creating links of related information. In this way, the memory recall time is diminished and the astonishing results are for us to see.
- Meditation– We are not dwelling into the tenets of spirituality or religion here. Meditation is simply being alert, mindful and in the present moment. The unnecessary chatter of the mind is reduced and the individual is able to reflect on the subject at hand with more clarity than before.
- Recreation – It is not said without reason that “all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.” Be it studies or your workplace, you need time for yourself. Take out time to indulge in your hobbies, be it taking a brisk walk by the riverside, trekking by the hillside. Your brain needs time to rejuvenate so that it can face that the challenges of future in different perspectives.
- Group Discussions – Most of us would agree that a student’s most stressful time would be during the exams. No need to get heated up so much. Try asking your friend or friends to join you for a discussion on the learning matter. It works quite well than sitting in the nook corner of the room and trying to mug up the dry facts.
- Different approaches to learning – Different individuals perceive information in different ways. Some enjoy learning through visual media, others through audio channels like podcasts. Some learn by reading out aloud. Check the method that works best for you and proceed ahead.
- Eat and drink healthy – A healthy body gives rise to a healthy mind and vice versa. There are many foods beneficial for brain function and improve the cognitive and learning abilities. The first step in improving your learning enough water and keep yourself well hydrated at all times.
- Surroundings – Maintain your surroundings conducive for learning. Get rid of the junk in your surroundings and prefer a quiet atmosphere to concentrate better.
- Enthusiasm – Be enthusiastic about new experiences in life. Be it meeting new people or encountering difficult situations in life. This improves your perspective of looking at things and improves your learning abilities in the process.
- Do things repeatedly – There can be many different ways to approach a task at hand. Try different combinations of solving a problem or issue and see for yourself, how your thinking abilities surge.
- Sleep – This might seem the least important of all, but it is extremely important. Your whole being needs to relax after a day’s work. Don’t reduce your sleep hours for anything. A good night’s sleep gives your brain the much needed rest to function affectively the next day.